Some key scientific papers in the field of electron crystallography (including some classics):
A recent introduction to electron crystallography is:
Electron crystallography: imaging and single-crystal diffraction from powders
X. D. Zou and S. Hovmöller
Available at Open Access
Classical papers on structure determination in 2D and 3D from EM images
- DeRosier, D.J. and Klug, A. Reconstruction of three-dimensional structures from electron micrographs. Nature 217: 130-134 (1968).
- Dorset, D.L. Is electron crystallography possible? The direct determination of organic crystal structures. Ultramicroscopy 38: 23-40 (1991).
- Henderson, R. and Unwin, N. Three-dimensional model of purple membrane obtained by electron microscopy. Nature 257: 28-32 (1975).
- Hovmöller, S., Sjögren, A., Farrants, G., Sundberg, M. and Marinder, B.-O. Accurate atomic positions from electron microscopy. Nature 311: 238-241 (1984).
- Weirich,T., Ramlau,R. Simon,A., Zou,X.D. and Hovmöller,S. A crystal structure determined to 0.02 A accuracy by electron microscopy. Nature 382 (1996) 144-146.
- Zou,X.D, Mo,Z.M., Hovmöller,S., Li, X.Z. and Kuo,K. Three dimensional reconstruction of the v-AlCrFe phase by electron crystallography. Acta Cryst.A59 (2003) 526-539.
- Weirich,T.E., Zou,X.D., Ramlau,R., Simon,A., Cascarano,G.L., Giacovazzo,C, and Hovmöller,S. Structures of nanometre-size crystals determined from selected-area electron diffraction data. Acta Cryst. A56 (2000) 29-35.
- Christensen,J., Oleynikov,P., Hovmöller,S. and Zou,X.D. Solving Approximant Structures Using a "Strong Reflection" Approach. Ferroelectrics 305 (2004) 273-277.
- Baerlocher,C., Gramm,F., MassÃ¼ger,L., McCusker,L.B., He, Z.B., Hovmöller,S. and Zou,X.D. Structure of the Polycrystalline Zeolite Catalyst IM-5 Solved by Enhanced Charge Flipping. Science 315 (2007), 1113-1116.
On symmetry and phases
- Hovmöller, S. Rotation Matrices and Translation vectors in Crystallography, International Union of Crystallography Series on Crystallographic Teaching, No 9, University College Cardiff Press, Cardiff, Wales, 1981.
- Xiaodong Zou, "On the phase problem in electron microscopy: the relationship between structure factors, exit waves, and HREM images", Microscopy Research and Technique 46, (1999) 202-219.
- Hovmöller, S. CRISP: crystallographic image processing on a personal computer. Ultramicroscopy 41: 121-135 (1992).
- Zou, X.D. Electron Crystallography of Inorganic Structures. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Stockholm, 1995.
- Zou, X.D., Sukharev, Y. and Hovmöller, S. "Quantitative electron diffraction - new features in the program system ELD". Ultramicroscopy 52: 436-444 (1993).
- Zou,X.D., Hovmöller,A. and Hovmöller,S. Trice - a program for reconstructing 3D reciprocal space and determining unit cell parameters, Ultramicroscopy 98 (2004) 187-193.
Methods in quantitative TEM: Correcting for defocus and astigmatism; exit wave reconstruction from a single image, thickness determination, lens distortions
- Xiaodong Zou, Margareta Sundberg, Maxim Larine and Sven Hovmöller, "Structure projection retrieval by image processing of HREM images taken under non-optimal defocus conditions", Ultramicroscopy 62 (1996) 103-121.
- Hovmöller, S. and Zou, X.D., Measurement of crystal thickness and crystal tilt from HRTEM images and a way to correct for their effects. Microscopy Research and Technique 46 (1999) 147-159.
- Capitani,GC, Oleynikov,P., Hovmöller,S., Mellini, M. A practical method to detect and correct for lens distortion in the TEM. Ultramicroscopy 106 (2006) 66-74
- Oleynikov,P. Hovmöller,S. and Zou,X.D. Precession electron diffraction: observed and calculated intensities. Ultramicroscopy 107 (2007), 523-533.
Defects and interfaces
- X.D. Zou, E.A. Ferrow and D.R. Veblen, "Crystallographic image processing on minerals: 3D structures, defects and interfaces", in "Electron Crystallography", eds. D.L. Dorset, S. Hovmöller and X.D. Zou, Nato ASI Series C, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, (1997) 305-312.